Saturday, November 29, 2008

Low spirits

I hate to admit it, but I am a little downhearted tonight. Why, I don't know. Maybe it is the approaching holiday coming so soon, and all of the people out there who will have a stressful time, trying to buy presents. I remember the feeling well. It was a long time ago, it is true, but it still comes back to haunt me. I must try to find a present or two for the "Toys for Tots" program, that is the least I can do.
I particularly remember Christmases when I worked for the Postal Service and we worked long hours for weeks trying to get the mail through. Since I worked from midnight until eight in the morning, I was always sleepy anyway. Sometimes I would fall asleep at the sorting machine and the letters would fall out on the floor and pile up, unsorted. We all tried to help each other, and the single mothers were especially stressed out with home duties, small children and no money. those were the days I would like to forget.
But to cheer myself up, I have taken a handful of chocolate chips and a few walnuts and I am having a forbidden snack here at my computer. My husband is watching an old movie, "White Christmas" which we have seen many times in past years and I can miss cheerfully.
We hope to get to keep our little dog Kaya in a week or two (we think of her as ours) and that will cheer us both up. Until then, take care and keep in touch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The holidays are often depressing. Hope you feel better soon!

Grandma Dottie said...

Thanks. Actually, the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day, so I have perked up already. Nice to hear from you.

Random Thoughts said...

I have blogged about my lack of holiday cheer. I have also found some inspiration to make this season one with some meaning, I hope I can change my mind and my heart in the next couple of weeks. I know advent has begun (I hate to admit I do not frequent church, even though I can see if from my living room window) but Christmas should be limited to a two week event not a month and a half!

Anonymous said...

well whenever i am feeling down i turn on my favorite music or take a hot shower or watch a romantic comedy. baking holiday goodies with your spouse or friend can always do the trick too! =) I'm certain you'll be back to great in no time!