Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A haunting poem

This poem was written by a dear friend who passed away recently, but will forever be in my heart.

The River's Lure.

Before the springtime of my children it enticed me
Seductively
Tall redwoods cast their shade.
Along the bank dandelions called, then
Keeping their appointment with the wind
Blew themselves away
River otters showed me
The joyful path of water

Now when summer's over
Swallows ask me where is spring?
And for me
Moonlight sketches shadow poems
That crickets and frogs may sing
At midnight from the small island
Ancient crones send wisdom to me,
Time and sunlight bleach my hair white
Remember
The river's lure

I have never been a fan of this form of poetry, and confess that Emily Dickinson leaves me cold, but the images evoked by "The River's Lure" haunt me whenever I read it. I have several of her poems which I will share in future.
To other things, we got our shipment of wood today, and will have a cozy fire on the next cold night. Today was very warm so a fire is hardly appropriate, bur cold days will come. Night all, and keep in touch.

No comments: