Friday, November 7, 2008

What next, we wonder.

It is Friday, mid-afternoon. Obama has given his speech, my husband is out in his work shed, puttering around, I am cooking a pot of split pea soup, and all is well. I was pleased with the speech, and if Obama can pull it off, bringing prosperity back to our economy, I will applaud him. I think it will be a while, though. For retirees like my husband and myself, the problem of money is not that troublesome. For the younger families and recent graduates, it is pretty hard.
My husband has been listening to a book tape which has given me much thought, and I am pondering once again if I have failed him all of these years. The book purports to relate various (and frequent) sexual encounters between the main female character and members of the opposite sex. The descriptions are vivid and cause us much merriment as we listen to what is supposedly normal sexual behavior. Quivering thighs, heaving bosoms, throbbing unmentionable body parts and moaning and groaning. I can say without hesitation that neither of us ever behaved thusly. To us, sex was an expression of affection and respect. But did we miss out on what the book seems to say would have been ecstasy of the highest order? It is made more vivid by being read aloud by an accomplished reader, giving it the dramatic emphasis that cannot be reached by simply reading the book silently. But no, I don't think we missed out. I think the book has sold the listener a bill of goods, with increased sales being the main concern. i hope no one thinks this is normal behavior. One could get a dislocated disc with such goings-on.
One series of books that we have enjoyed, simply because of the absurdity of the tales, has been the Mountain Man series. The Mountain Man (Smoke Jensen) kills his enemies with every conceivable weapon and against great numbers. In one chapter, he took on eleven, and single-handedly brought them down. The descriptions of the storms, scenery, wild rivers and herds of animals are fun to listen to. The books come almost every day and are of every type, from historical novels to biographies and war stories.
Well, time marches on, and life continues to be interesting and varied. The little boxer dog is back at my granddaughter's house, and we miss her, but will get her back soon. In the meantime, we are spoiling our old cat, and looking forward to each new day, wondering what will happen next. Take care, and keep in touch.

No comments: