Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Depresson

Thinking about the depression of the thirties, I remembered a book that realistically describes the hard times people experienced. It is "The Grapes of Wrath" and is well worth reading. If it is possible to watch the movie of the same name, that would be very interesting as well. One event of my life that i particularly remember was the birth of my beloved little sister in 1937. My poor mother, in her forties, was plunged into despair, but valiantly continued the pregnancy. I remember that she saved flour sacks and asked neighbors and friends to save theirs as well, so she could make diapers. She had only two little shirts and one blanket, and she cried when she showed them to me.
My little sister was born in the midst of a fierce snowstorm, and my father had to go fetch the doctor with a sled and team of horses. They returned with very little time to spare, and I still remember the thrill I felt when the doctor placed the tiny baby, wrapped in a towel, in my arms. From that moment, she was the focus of my life. I loved her dearly and still do. I spent many happy moments rocking her or walking back and forth with her draped over my shoulder. Circumstances have kept us apart but in our hearts we are still close.
the depression dragged on and on, and the country only came out of it when World War 11 happened. By that time I had managed to graduate from college and after teaching a year and a half, I went to work in a war factory. That was a long time ago, but I remember it all very clearly.
Well, enough for tonight. Please keep in touch.

1 comment:

Random Thoughts said...

How old were you when your sister was born, I could try to do the math, but seems easier and more personal to ask.