Saturday, September 20, 2008

A busy evening

Much activity here last night. First, i decided to bring my computer into my bedroom, which necessitated moving all of the furniture around and hauling the TV set out into the family room. When we did that, i somehow managed to block out all of the channels above 32. This frustrated my poor husband no end, and he spent almost three hours trying to remedy the problem. Since it is almost 20 years old, I was in favor of throwing the thing out, but this morning i called Comcast and in about two minutes, the kind technician straightened me and the TV out, and we now have all of the channels back. It really is nice to have both sets working, so we can each watch our favorite programs simultaneously. Another problem solved.
I am so aghast at the turn of events that has taken place, with the government putting us all into this huge debt condition, that i am almost glad that I am teetering on the brink of the abyss. I lived through the depression of the thirties and it was no fun. Besides that, it lasted until the war broke out. My family did quite well, as we were able to grow most of our food, and my father was quite skilled at thinking of ways to generate cash, but not everyone was so fortunate. It was a time of despair and no one could see the end. Many people were actually glad when the war came along, because there were jobs for everyone, young and old.
Must close and join my husband in the family room. Keep in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to read you this morning. Especially appreciate your comments about the depression. Are we teetering on the edge?......methinks it's a possibility. It's very scary when the "Powers that Be" act in a rush to do anything that changes our society, financials...whatever. I've read much about the "Great Depression"...all of it very sad. Like you, I had relatives who were able to survive because they were farmers. I have no idea how my own parents lived during the "bad times". I've told my adult children...watch your pennies, stay on top of your debt and live like a church mouse until further notice. They think I'm nuts. Saddest of all, greed by many, lack of government oversite (will people ever learn to carefully select those they vote in office) and the world economy linked in a way that resembles a house of cards.....these things that we ordinary Americans will pay a great price for in generations to come.
On a bright side....today is beautiful.

Harriet

Random Thoughts said...

I know I prefer to not have to live through times like the depression. Learning about it in classes and watching Hollywood's remakes on the times is enough for me. Seeing some of the pictures from the actual time, bread lines, men in hats and dress coats waiting in line for jobs. Make shift housing and dresses made from burlap, images that make me so sad and thankful for the things I have.

Not too sure if the bail out is the only right thing to do, but doing nothing would be wrong for everyone!