Saturday, June 7, 2008

What happened, Big Brown?

Today was a disappointing day, as I had looked forward to seeing history made with a triple crown winner, and Big Brown simply did not run the race everyone was expecting. My husband and I sat glued to the TV screen, in happy expectation of an exciting race, and what we saw was almost unbelievable. I hope there is an explanation for his poor performance. The winner simply ran off and left all of the other horses trailing behind. They don't plan to run Big Brown again. I guess he will be retired to the farm.
Otherwise, today was a nice, quiet day here. The swallows swooped around all day, and the robins were busy flying from tree to tree. We didn't have many birds last year, but this year they are all over the place. The butterflies are in abundance as well.
Last year we put up a bird feeder in the apple tree, and the birds would come every afternoon and flutter around and eat for about a half hour and then, on some signal, they would all fly away. Then one day I looked out and saw a large river rat perched on the branch, its long tail swinging back and forth, and its shiny black eyes staring at me. My husband went out and tried scaring it away, but it wouldn't budge. He finally got a stick and poked it off the branch and it ran off. Needless to say, we took down the bird feeder. There is a stream down at the foot of the hill and I suppose the rat came up from there.
What to do for tomorrow? We will probably go for a walk down the street, which we haven't done for a while. I have had a problem with my hip (the one I broke) most of today, but I think a walk will help. Take care.

1 comment:

Random Thoughts said...

This morning I woke up much too early 4:30, I was walking through the house and realized that in my sleepiness I left all of the fans on last night, while shutting them off to save on electricity I heard all of the early birds singing happily over the feast they must have been having in my back yard. After reading your entry I realized how you would have loved to see this, but at the moment all I could think was why is it so bright out at 4:30, why are those birds so happy, and why am I awake!? I went back to sleep and am just as happy as those birds now.