Monday, June 9, 2008

Our travels

We were stationed in Germany for two years in the sixties and traveled extensively while we were there. Paris, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, England, Italy, we were centrally located and went off for weekends frequently. We purchased a "square-back" Volkswagen and often slept in the back if we couldn't find suitable housing when night came on. The engine was in the back, and when we had laid the seats back and made up the bed, the engine would warm up the mattress and blankets and we would be as snug and warm as one could wish. We traveled down through the black forest on one jaunt, and ate blackberries and sausage and buns and had a ball. We were lucky enough to be able to see the Passion Play at Oberamergo (I think that is how it is spelled) which only happens at intervals. I purchased a cuckoo clock there which I had for many years thereafter.
Our favorite country, with no exceptions, was Denmark. We traveled to Copenhagen in the summer, and got a room at the Sailor's Hotel on Nyhaven Canal, which it turned out was in the red light district. It was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable, so we settled in. We were a little surprised to see all of the activity down on the street, which went on all night. The next day we realized where we were lodged, but we were quite happy to stay there for several days. I have always declared that Copenhagen was my husband's favorite city due to the fact that the ladies sunbathed topless in the parks. I loved the open-faced sandwiches and cheeses.
I went to Rome with a church group and was quite impressed with all of the beauty and grandeur that was there. I took a tour of the Catacombs and remember to this day going down and down and down into total darkness. But that is another story to be told another day.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I have to write a paper this weekend on the sixties. I will be interviewing my father about the decade. I want you to know I considered asking you if I could interview you, but thought I should learn a bit about my father's life experiences. I do love your stories, I always read them and my mind turns them into mini movies.

Dieverdog said...

those all sound like fun places... the Black Forest always sounds like something from a fairy tale to me... like it should be a dark and scary forest with witches and the like! I love hearing your stories about your travels.