Thursday, June 26, 2008

Here it is!

I am always amazed at how easily things get lost in my little house. It really is an amazingly efficient place, with hardwood floors and neatly arranged cupboards and cabinets. Yet, neat as we try to keep it, sometimes something will get lost and occasionally it will vanish, never to be seen again. Today we were dismayed to find that a sheet of notepaper, with some really important notes jotted down on it, had been mislaid. The usual frantic search ensued, with drawers being pulled out, papers sorted through, accusations made about who had handled the paper last, phone calls made to try to retrieve the data and a general rumpus ensuing. After about an hour of rummaging around searching, we finally gave up and had our lunch. To calm my nerves, I sat down at the computer and lo and behold, the paper was there, under the mouse mat. I must have put it there myself, for as my husband pointed our, it didn't get there by itself. I still have no memory of my action.
We are not always so lucky. My set of keys vanished once, right after I had parked my car in the driveway. Somewhere betwen the parked car and the house, my keys were lost. I couldn't get into the house because i couldn't find the keys. Luckily, my husband was home. We looked for those keys for days, both inside the car and in the shrubbery bordering the driveway. We have never found them. Another time I lost my driver's license, finally getting down to the DMV office to replace it. That was lost inside the house and to this day we wonder where it is.
But all is well. Tonight we are listening to another booktape. I watched a television program last night that so disturbed me that I probably will forgo any entertainment in that direction. It was an episode that purported to show what happened when five small infants were loaned to five teen-aged couples to demonstrate to them what it is like to have a baby. The poor little babies were removed from their parents and put into strange houses with perfect strangers, and they cried, threw up, refused to eat, and would not go to sleep. It may have taught the teenagers something, but it certainly traumatized the babies and myself. Nothing is more distressing than the frantic cries of frightened babies.
The air was clearer here today. We have hung out a feeder for the humming birds. I hope they find it tomorrow. We will enjoy watching them from the family room. Adios

4 comments:

Dieverdog said...

I hate it when I lose things! Drives me nuts! Sometimes when I stop looking for it then I find it, sometimes not. That show about the babies sounds awful... what a horrible thing to put those babies through. I know some people think because they can't communicate like we can that they just won't remember the unpleasant incident, but babies are affected by trauma like that. It's one thing if they happen to be in a bad situation, but to them into one on purpose defies logic!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment. It is a universal instinct to protect the infants, no matter whose they are. If a baby cries in a store, all eyes will turn to see what is the matter. Back in the dark ages (the thirties and forties) we were told to let the babies cry and only pick them up to feed or change them. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. I wonder how much damage we did to their little psychies by that practice?

Anonymous said...

I saw a preview of that show and thought it looked like an extraordinarily bad idea. I'm surprised that any parent would agree to let their child participate. How sad.

Random Thoughts said...

As for losing things... My sweetie and I have done that as well. His keys most likely went in the trash, he came home took care of the trash, but had to find his spare keys to get to the dump. I have also lost a ring that was on the table, and then... gone.

I did not see the show you are talking about, but did hear about it on the radio. I hope that is makes you feel better to know that there was a paid nanny in the room with the teenagers and the baby, and the parents were watching on closed circuit tv and could stop the "experiment" any time they wanted to. I heard one family did stop it after the teenagers were a bit rotten "you don't want to eat, fine then don't eat" or something like that with some faces made at the baby or something. It sounded awful and I hope the show is pulled from the air, before more babies are exposed to such rude care.