Monday, June 30, 2008

Slow down, time

Time is going too fast for me. In four days it will be the Fourth of July! I can't believe it. I am only now getting over the Christmas and Easter holidays. Not that we do anything special for the Fourth. I will watch the fireworks on television and probably reminisce a little about the days gone by when we would go down to the park and watch the fireworks close at hand. I would pack a picnic snack and we would sit on blankets and hope that no one walked on our food or did anything else to disturb us. One year I took my Grandson down to the beach in our little town and we sat on the damp sand and saw a really great little display of fireworks in the sky.
One year, probably fifty years ago, I took my two kids out into the country to enjoy a few sparklers and firecrckers, because they were forbidden in town, and we had a scary adventure. My son, thinking he was walking on a hard surface, ventured out onto a mud crust and broke through, sinking down into a morass of mud up to his shoulders. i poked a plank out to him, and he managed to crawl back to solid ground on it. A passerby, stopping to help, remarked that a cow had gotten stuck there a week ago, and had to be pulled out by a tractor. I can see the poor boy to this day, covered with mud and with his sparklers and firecrackers lost under the mud.
It is funny what memories rise to the surface of my mind, triggered by events of today. I don't exactly live either in the past or the present, but the two layers of time are intertwined. Some traumatic events of the past would be better forgotten, and I always hoped that the passing of time would at least dim those memories. But they are the ones that linger most vividly in my mind.
But today will be noted down as a pleasant memory. The hummingbirds have discovered the bird feeder and are entertaining us with their ecstatic feeding routine. The mourning doves have nested in the trees below the house. The swallows are swooping around collecting insects. All is well with our world.

No comments: