Friday, June 6, 2008

Happy days are here

I haven't figured out how to leave my thanks for comments yet. The last comment I left came out "Anonymous", when I had really meant to sign myself as Grandmadottie. I do love to get comments, so thanks to all of you.
We had a very pleasant day here today, with an appraiser coming to tell us how much our house is worth. We are doing estate planning and are expecting the value of the house to have gone down, but he walked from room to room, remarking on the pleasant layout of the house and the beauty of the hardwood floors and so on, so maybe it will turn out to be of more value than we had planned on. We don't plan to sell anyway, but intend to live here until the end, if the fates smile on us.
I am sitting here eating chocolate pudding, and pondering on how variable my moods are these days. Today was a very happy day. I am looking forward to watching Big Brown run his big race tomorrow, and will rise early (for me) to hear Hillary Clinton speak on television. We had thought that we might sink into boredom in our declining years, but here we are, still going strong.
We have had good luck with our roses this year, and big yellow butterflies flutter around over them, and the fuschias have outdone themselves. I guess my spirits are high because the weather is so perfect now, and we can sit in our lawn chairs and watch the swallows swoop around.
I am sleeping better than I had been, and I finally figured out that I need to give myself permission to sleep. It was part of my upbringing to believe that I should stay up late to study, and get up early to do chores, and I always felt guilty about sleeping, even on weekends. Now I tell myself, "It's okay. Sleep all you want to. Sleep is good for you. Do yourself a favor." i think it actually helps. Last night I didn't even dream.

No comments: