Sunday, June 8, 2008

On spirits and hauntings

When we first came to California, we lived in a house that was said to be haunted. There had been a murder at the back of the house where a stagecoach used to make its run, and the driver had been shot. In the house next door, the wife had been killed by her husband, said to be accidental. The bedroom in the back of the house was supposed to be the place where the spirits made their appearance, and my husband swore he could see them (sometimes one, sometimes two) in the early morning hours. I never saw them, but one night we put our overnight guest in there, and in the middle of the night she got up again and took the bus back to her house. She said she could feel the evil of the spirits and was forced to leave.
Is there any truth to these tales? The house is over 100 years old, and is built on an old Indian shell mound. We found bones under the house when we were putting in a foundation, and Indian artifacts.
There are haunted houses all over the place in England. Everything there has a history. Even the stones of the streets could tell a tale if they could talk. We went down to the Thames at midnight one time, down to where Jack the Ripper had roamed, committing his murders. It was spooky but being young and adventurous, we found it to be something of a thrill, but not terrifying. We had a great time "doing" London and I still remember going down to Fleet Street and hearing the roar of the presses printing out the morning newspapers. We stayed over a week and had a wonderful time.
Another place where there is said to be a haunted house is at Rose Hill in Jamaica. We tried to get to stay overnight there, to experience whatever there was to encounter there, but the docents wouldn't let us do it. The mistress of Rose Hill is said to have murdered several husbands in their beds there. She is buried in the front of the house, which is a beautiful, beautiful place. I managed to eat my lunch sitting on her gravestone, but that is about as close to her ghost as I got.
More about our travels in future blogs. We led quite a life!

1 comment:

Dieverdog said...

I'm intrigued by stories of hauntings and ghosts but have never experienced one myself. I do believe they exist, too many people have had experiences for me to think otherwise, though I don't think every story is necessarily true. I've been to England, too and it is so true that it has so much history (way more than we do in our country). I loved England and Scotland.