Sunday, January 13, 2008

Junk Mail

I, like everyone else, receive unbeliebable amounts of junk mail, most of it requesting sums of money. Some of the pleading letters I find hard to throw away, because I truly believe they represent helpful agencies. The Easter Seal Society. St. Jude's Hospital, the Cancer Society, all call for my help not once a year, but over and over again. I feel guilty if I don't respond, but I can't send money each time it is requested. I tried tossing it all into a paper bag and keeping the bag in the closet, but that made no sense. Why clutter up my closet if I wasn't going to take any action? Then I hit upon a fairly simple solution that seems to be working. I simply hand the letters to my husband, who feels no guilt whatsoever if he doesn't respond, and he throws them away. Somehow that relieves me of the responsibility of refusing aid, and I can assure myself that it wasn't I who threw the letters away, but my husband.
I am making great progress on the blue baby blanket I am knitting. The baby is due in March and at the rate I am going I will perhaps get two blankets completed in time for its arrival. Since I do not purchase articles made in China, I try to make all of my baby gifts myself. Of course, the yarn was made in China! So I defeated my own purpose.
Had a lovely, sunny day today. Somewhere in the neighborhood there is a tree or shrub that is blooming because when I stepped outside, I could detect a fragrance in the air, but couldn't exactly tell where it was coming from. It was perhaps from my neighbor's Daphne bush, behind the wooden fence out of sight. It is getting a little warmer every day.

No comments: