Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Debate

Spent last evening watching the Democratic debate on TV and must say Obama and Clinton made me think of two six-year- olds pointing fingers of blame at each other. They won't win my vote that way. They both seem well-informed however.
But enough of politics. The stocks and bonds are in an uproar, everyone is worried about a recession, and I can't find anything to watch on television anymore. So I am going to concentrate on my knitting and my cross-word puzzles, and try to compose my mind by meditating.
I never really learned to meditate. Even when I attended Sandeepany West and studied the art of meditating, the best I could hope to do was to fall asleep during meditation. I suspect that many of the other students did the same. The dark room, the melodious chant of the teacher, the soft breathing of the other students, all soothed my restless thoughts and sent me into a trancelike state, but that was about it. But I remember with great pleasure my annual sojourn to the center on the Eel River.
My knitting is coming along very well and I am almost done with one good-sized blue blanket. I plan on making two, using different stitches for them.
I hope to find some omments from time to time. It is fun to keep in touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not falling asleep during meditation is half the battle for many of us. Sometimes one member of a large group of meditators is assigned the task of tapping any snorers with a stick. whatever works.