Saturday, January 12, 2008

I tend to my knitting

I finally got down to the yarn shop for more yarn, and am now once again knitting away. There is something about knitting that is soothing and comforting. Eleanor Roosevelt knitted everywhere she went, even knitting as she conversed with Clementine Churchill. It is especially satisfying to someone like myself who thinks she has to always be busy - one can sit comfortably on the sofa, knitting, and feel usefully employed, even if only ones hands are occupied. I don't do any complicated patterns, so I don't even have to think as I knit. I do have to watch while I knit, or I drop stitches, which is another story!
Remembering my days at the United Nations at Lake Success, (my brief career only lasted six months) I remember seeing Eleanor Roosevelt scurrying along the hallways, carrying a tote bag which probably contained her knitting. The site was a converted manufacturing plant (the old Sperry-Rand plant) and we used to worry that she would fall down the steep metal steps that led to the second floor. I had to leave my job there when our son was born. It was a fabulous place to work.
The sun has been shining brilliantly all day, but now that the day is almost over, it is darkening outside. My little cat is curled up on the ottoman sleeping and we have the woodburning stove going and the house is warm and cozy. We are lucky because this little house is easily warmed. We don't heat the bedrooms but our electric blanket keeps us warm at night.
We hope that the winter storms are over. Spring can't come too soon.

No comments: