Friday, January 18, 2008

Cold weather

Watching the weather channel this morning I see that frigid air is sweeping over the midwest, bringing the temperature down to as low as twenty degrees below zero. I well remember my sibllings and I struggling through the snow to school, wearing the thin cloth coats and snowboots that were grossly inadequate for the cold we were enduring. When we got to school, we took off our coats and boots and gradually warmed up. On particularly cold mornings we were allowed to sit by the woodburning stove to thaw out. Walking the four miles to high school was a particularly dauntng experience. I had a typewriting class immediately after arriving at the school, and my hands were usually so cold that I could hardly type, let alone get up any speed. Why didn't our father drive us to school and save us from the freexing walk? I can't say but only remember that he never did.
Be that as it may, we are now ensconced in warm California, sun shining brilliantly in the windows, the little cat snoozing under our little electric space heater and Bill snoozing in the reclining chair. The reclining chair was given to us by a generous neighbor, and at first I really didn't want it as it takes up so much space in the family room, but it has proved to be a blessing to Bill, who can relax there and nap whenever he feels the urge. I grab it and recline in it whenever I get a chance.
Never in my wildest dreams did I envision the llfe of leisure and tranquillity that we now enjoy. Would we trade it for anywhere else on earth? Not on your Nellie! We have taken root and are here to stay.

2 comments:

Paula Marie Pettis said...

We're in that frigid air! Right now the temperature is -11 F, and it will drop to between -14 and -20 by morning. (and that's not the wind chill!)

Earlier today I picked up some quarters that were in my car, and my finger tips are still tingling...don't touch cold metal!

We're nice and cozy inside our house, have the Christmas tree lights on, and watched the first part of the Planet Earth video tonight. Our cars run fine in the cold, although one tire went flat on Thursday, and we had to have it fixed.

Tomorrow will be even colder! Thankfully I have a brand new winter coat this year....and it's really warm!

~Baby Bear

Paula Marie Pettis said...

Your blog is very interesting and we enjoy it very much. It tells us a lot about what you're doing.

~Papa Bear