Saturday, November 21, 2009

Keeping it neat

I emptied out a drawer containing a jumble of documents and noted once again that Filing is not one of my strong points. I was often prodded by supervisors of one kind or another to be more orderly with my papers, but the inclination just wasn't there. I suppose it is too late to worry about it now.
My husband, on the other hand, is the model of neatness. His socks are not only rolled into balls and tucked away in neat rows, but they are sorted as to color and usage. His underwear drawers are perfection itself. His twelve sweaters are neatly folded and placed in their drawers and his closet is a wonder to behold. He often opens the drawers and gazes into the contents just to be sure nothing has been disturbed.
I suppose in his way he is in the grip of OCD, just as i am when I check the stove and sink and doors to make sure that all is in order. It is a source of satisfaction to him to be neat, and he feels a sort of pain when he opens the drawers of my bureau and observes the clutter contained therein. I keep the house in order, on the surface, but what is out of sight is out of mind.
What childhood training led us to where we are today? My husband was raised by a dear little woman who was the most untidy person I ever knew. The moment she entered her house she began tossing things onto the table, the chairs, the floor - nothing was ever put away. I, on the other hand, was trained carefully to keep my drawers in order, but being the rebel that I am, I never did it. My sister, obedient to the core, left hers in impeccable order.
Sometimes, however, it becomes necessary to make order out of chaos, and that is what I did today. I now know exactly what is in that drawer, and when income tax time comes around, I will be ready.
Midnight approaches. Keep in touch. Bye

No comments: