Monday, November 23, 2009

A coincidence

I had a most interesting experience yesterday, quite a coincidence, actually. I had called customer service for ToysR Us to place an order for a gift for my little great-granddaughter for Christmas, and out of all of the hundreds of calls that must have gone to that particular number, I was answered by a young man who had grown up in my home town and was going to college at my old Alma Mater. We chatted awhile, and both of us were amused by how small the world is, after all. He, being only eighteen, and I, being 87, naturally did not know one another. I left my home when I was seventeen, long before he was born. He had a mid-western accent and was most pleasant and polite.
Our conversation led to a whole train of thought, as I remembered the college, just a one building, two year institution, and now a big university. I never liked high school but enjoyed my college experience tremendously. I continued taking college classes now and then, and finally graduated when I was 65. Better late than never!
My husband brought home a spice pumpkin to make Thankdgiving pie, and I am going to have a new experience baking a pumpkin pie from scratch. I have always used canned pumpkin in the past, but I will try anything once.
As usual, it is late evening and I must close. bye and keep in touch.

No comments: