Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I wake up at last

Tonight I feel as though i were crawling out from under a rock, having hidden there for far too long. I have been languishing idly in front of the television, not really watching any particular program, just passing the time. For the last few days I have slept until ten in the morning, only rising when the aroma of fresh coffee entices me out. Thank goodness for my little dog, she at least gets me up at last!
I think the president's speech last night woke me up or at least aroused my interest. It is impossible to listen to him and remain bored. We are indeed living in interesting times. Whether or not he succeeds remains to be seen, we can but wait and see.
Hard as times are now, it really was worse during the thirties, from 1929 to about 1942. People simply had no money, for food, clothing or shelter. Children would come to school with nothing in their lunch pails and sit outside alone so no one would know they weren't eating. We lived close enough to the schoolhouse that we could go home if we had no lunch and often we would eat hasty pudding or pop corn for our lunch. We were infinitely better off than many of our neighbors though because we always had milk, eggs, potatoes, and sometimes pork or venison. Hoboes often came begging at the door for food and I don't think they were ever turned away. They had to eat on the porch. They never got to come in the house.
It was against the law to kill deer during the "closed season" after about Thanksgiving time, but no one honored that edict, and whenever a deer was killed the whole neighborhood shared in the feast. Once in awhile someone would be caught and fined, but it only happened to my father once in the many long years that he hunted and I think he had to pay a fine. I no longer have a taste for venison but we welcomed it with gusto back then.
I hope the weather clears up and I can get out tomorrow and enjoy the sun. Take care and keep in touch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Dottie: Tell us more about the 30s. Perhaps we could all use another perspective. I'm afraid we're headed there again.