Thursday, February 5, 2009

Access to books

I have hit upon a source of amusement (quite by accident) and am having a nice relaxing time for myself tonight. I have discovered that I can sometimes pull up entire books to read and am at the moment indulging myself in reading that old childhood book "Little Women" which I read many times as a child. Since i went to a poor country school until i graduated to high school, we were limited in our choice of literature and I must have read each of the available books a half a dozen times or more. I read "Treasure Island"' while a blizzard raged outside and the colorful pictures and descriptions were a source of great amusement. We pored over my Grandpa's Zane Grey books and read "True Confessions" which we purloined from our teen-aged aunt. I still read just about anything i can get my hands on and thank goodness my eyes are still pretty good. When my Grandma got a library card for me I was in Seventh Heaven.
Today was a quiet, rainy day, made cozy by a fire in the wood stove and the antics of our little dog. This will be a mini-blog, hope all is well with my readers and that you will still keep in touch. Bye

4 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

finding good reads on line is always a great discovery... happy reading!

Grandma Dottie said...

Thank you for your comment. The first thing I do when I come to my computer is check my blog, and it always warms my heart when i find that someone has read my little contribution. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

what is your all-time absolute favorite book?!?

Grandma Dottie said...

My alltime favorite book is "Gone With the Wind."
I took it out of the traveling library and read day and night to finish it in time to return it. We didn't have electricity so I read by the light of a kerosine lamp with the moths and night insects fluttering against the window screen, as it was in summer and we had the window open. I remember that a huge lunar moth clung to the screen until morning.