Sunday, February 1, 2009

football

I have let several days go by without blogging, my only excuse being that I had the "blahs". I shamelessly reclined on the sofa with a heating pad under my leg, treating my tendanitis with rest and heat, and to my relief it has gotten somewhat better. This morning I swiffered the wood floors and vacuumed the carpets and now I am ready for the super bowl! Why i enjoy watching humans bashing each other around a ball field, I do not know, but it does provide entertainment. We lead quiet and peaceful lives here, so we take whatever opportunity is afforded to amuse ourselves.
When I went to college 65 years ago, I was on the college newspaper staff and one of my assignments was to cover the football games between my college and various other colleges here and there. It was a plush assignment, since I knew nothing about the rules and had to consult with the quarterback after the game to complete my story. Needless to say, I developed a crush on him and imagined myself hopelessly in love, even though I knew in my heart that he longed for the head cheerleader. He was a skillful passer but somewhat on the crabby side and often hurt my feeling grievously. I was much relieved when I was given another assignment more in tune with my knowledge.
I never really liked high school but flourished in college. It was a small college, and I only got to go for a year and a half, but I remember it with fondness. I worked for the art teacher and met a good many artists and musicians, including Marian Anderson and Thomas Hart Benton. When war broke out and a severe shortage of teachers developed, I was "drafted" to go out into the teaching field, and to my regret never returned to college. I finally graduated with a degree when I was 65!
But that was then and this is now. I didn't enjoy teaching and only taught for two years and then moved on to other careers. I still feel sympathy for all teachers, though, it is one of the hardest jobs in the world.

1 comment:

Random Thoughts said...

I can't even imagined being "drafted" to teach. The job is challenging when you are passionate about it. Having to be there every day and wishing you were doing something else such as finishing the degree you began must have been heart breaking torture.