Thursday, February 18, 2010

Revenge on the IRS

I saw on television news today that some disgruntled man, enraged at the IRS, had crashed his small plane into the IRS building, killing himself and causing much damage and several injuries. I can't say I can sympathize with his action, but I have felt rage at the system many times as I crouched over my calculator late at night, struggling with the forms. Years ago we had rental houses, capital gains, mortgages, work reports, and who knows how many pages to add up and send in. I would fortify myself with a box of chocolate candy, a pot of hot coffee and often dawn would be breaking before i finished. One night our mother cat went into labor on the very night I did the forms, and I was so engrossed that I didn't even let her into the house until the last moment. The poor thing climbed up on the sofa and gave birth to two lovely little kittens right before my eyes. If I hadn't let her in she would have been forced to deliver those kittens on the steps of the house!
Anyway, it is so much easier today, since I only have to deal with retirement earnings and they are simple to list on the form. I still fuss and fume as I write the numbers down and I still secretly resent the money I have to send in, but as my husband points out, we are lucky we have the money to send.
My great weakness is my fondness for chocolate candy. A few years ago I ate so much Hallowe'en candy that I ended up in the hospital with a major crisis and had to have serious abdominal surgery. I still sneak a little if there is any around, though I know the danger it poses.
My husband has come in from the garage and is expecting dinner. Take care and keep in touch.

1 comment:

Dieverdog said...

wow, I didn't know candy could be quite that dangerous! You best be careful! Yes, taxes are no fun - figuring them out OR paying them! I don't understand though what motivated that man to ram his plane into the building. Those poor people he killed meant him no personal harm, they were just doing their jobs afterall. It's too bad people like that can't get help before they go off the deep end like that and harm others.