Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas past

The peanut butter cookies are out of the oven, the pork chops are braising in the skillet, and I have a little time, so I'll blog a little. This is Christmas Day, bringing back memories of years and years of Christmases. When I was a child, we cut our own trees from the woods behind the house, and decorated them with tinsel and real candles. When the candles were lit, it made a beautiful soft light, somewhat dangerous in case of fire, but lovely, nonetheless. One year my sister accidentally set her hair on fire by getting too close to the tree, but it was quickly put out and she was only singed. The presents were put under the tree in little piles for each recipient, and we all opened our presents early on Christmas morning. I usually got a book, among other things, and spent Christmas Day reading my new book and eating candy. When I was small, the Bobbsey Twins and Honey Bunch were the usual titles, and then when I was older Little Women and Little Men made their appearance. The whole family got to read them, of course, We had a cupboard that held all of the books and comprised a window seat at the living room window. Since we had no radio, no TV, no victrola, we were by necessity constrained to read. I am a voracious reader to this day.
Now evening has come, with darkness outside and our little artificial tree twinkling with its little electric lights and glass ornaments. Across the way I can see my neighbors tree glowing in the darkened living room. I hope all children had wonderful Christmases, and I hope everyone had a bountiful Christmas dinner. Merry Christmas all, and keep in touch.

No comments: