Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Now it can be told continued

We seemed to be pretty close to the railroad station, because we could hear trains pulling in and out, and the air was heavy with fumes and soot.
“Form up by twos,” a voice barked, and we all jumped to our feet and looked at the speaker, a tall sergeant with a no-nonsense look about her. “On the double,” she snapped and we formed two lines, still not knowing what was to come but anxious to keep out of trouble at all cost. “Follow me,” she ordered, and led us out the door and down about half a block, to the railroad station. There we halted while she consulted a clipboard she was holding, and then she herded us onto the train, and pointed out our berths. It was a sleeper car, and for the first time I realized that this was to be an overnight trip. To my delight I drew an upper berth with a window view. This was going to be fun!
We still had no orders and had not yet been told of our destination. Since the sergeant seemed unable to speak in other than three or four word sentences, I doubted that she would be very communicative on any subject.
Once again, there we sat and waited. For what, we had no idea.
I have only a hazy memory of the trip down to boot camp. I knew we were heading South, and I remember wishing fervently that I had thought to bring a book to read. We ate in the dining car, and I don’t think I was overly enthusiastic about the food. Nor did the trip improve my opinion of my fellow travelers. As I said, we were a motley crew.

No comments: