Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A LOVELY DAY

Tuesday, April 21, 2009
A lovely day
Today is a good day to blog - I have dinner cooking in the slow cooker, my husband is puttering around outside, and the dog is flaked out on the deck. I usually take a nap in the afternoon, but today I feel like writing a little.
We are having a spell of warm weather, rare for our part of the world. The weather is usually on the cool side, being only a few miles from the ocean. Yesterday and today have been scorchers, and I have windows and doors open all over the house to take advantage of the fresh air. No wood-burning stoves going today! Usually someone will be polluting the air with a wood fire, often burning green wood and making clouds of black smoke.
Besides the warm weather, we are happy to see flowers and blossoms appearing everywhere. The apple tree outside our family room has blossoms, the roses are blooming, the periwinkle are showing llowers and the rare but beautiful trilliums are already turning violet in color. We haven't planted any annuals yet, but soon will get in our impatiens and geraniums which give us some color along the deck. This is the time of year when we most appreciate our good luck in settling here.
Most of my family still live in the midwest, in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Although we urge them to leave those cold places and relocate out here in California, where we have lived for fifty years, they decline. I guess they are as settled in place as we are out here. We will probably be here until the end, which we hope won't be for awhile.
Duty calls - I must put on the rice which will be served with the curried chicken. Take care. I'll try to write more often now that I am feeling better.
Posted by Grandma Dott

No comments: