Saturday, March 7, 2009

Tax Time

Ye Gods! It is income tax time again and I have dutifully sent off my little offering and the check has been cashed already. Not that I had to pay a lot but I hang on with both hands for as long as I can, since they don't spend the money as I wish anyway. I fill out an easy form now, not at all as it used to be. In days long gone it would take me several evenings, with a bottle of cream sherry at hand to cheer the process and a box of chocolate candy on the table. I filled the papers out at night, after the dishes were washed and put away, and the children were in bed asleep. The darkness of night would be pressing against the window panes and I would feel the loneliness of my position there at the kitchen table. My husband was in the Air Force and most of our early years he was overseas or at a base a thousand or more miles away, so the task of paying the taxes fell to me. One year our little cat went into labor on the living room sofa and I was so absorbed in my work that I didn't even notice until I heard the little kitten voices. She only had two, one white and one orange, and she was a wonderful mother.
But I stray from my lament. Income Taxes should be simple and straightforward. The idea of paying someone to fill out my taxes irks me no end. I would far rather that taxes be levied against purchases (I think what they call flat taxes) and then all of the loopholes and special interests could be abolished. But what the heck! I sent them off and the job is done for another year. And the world goes on. Take care and keep in touch. I love to year from you.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

When you don't make "too" much money, you can use an online services for free. One little reward for making just enough money to barely survive!

Grandma Dottie said...

Hi. Thanks for the comment. My daughter urged me to use the internet but I had already filled out the papers and signed them, so off they went. The following day I did the confusing 709 form, and ended up calling the IRS for help, which they kindly gave me. It still made no logical sense to me, but off it went as well. My sympathies go out to all who struggle with the things, but I refuse to pay to have them done, and I guess the mental activity is good for me! I guess I am bragging a little.