Monday, March 16, 2009

I learn a lesson continued

It was a little warmer there on the bench, and as I gradually regained my composure, i realized how hungry i was. How I wished i had a White Castle hamburger, like we got at the hamburger stand just down the block from our apartment.
A light dawned in my brain. The hamburger stand just down the block from the apartment! The trolley passed right by that hamburger stand. All I had to do was ride the trolley until it came to the stand and get off and walk the short way up the hill to the apartment building. I could even get a hamburger or two to assuage my hunger.
As if on cue, a trolley car rumbled up to the stop and a few passengers alighted. A genial driver allowed a few others to board, and I thrust my head inside and inquired hopefully, "Do you go past the White Castle Hamburger stand?" "Sure do," he respnded, "Hop on."
I did indeed, and relaxed inside, injoying the repartee being bandied about between the driver and the passengers, not understanding most of it, it being somewhat too riskee for my naive experience. I wonder now if this was the infamous "Ding Dong Daddy of the D Line" who became notorious for his numberous dallyings with his passengers. But never mind. I will never know.
It wasn't long before the trolley rumbled past the hamburger stand, squealed to a stop, and I hopped off, none the worse for wear and a lot wiser than I had been before. The hamburgers I bought were delicious and I learned to always carry my address with me and watch where I was going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very nice story. Thank you.